- 2 pounds chitterlings
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- fine cracker crumbs
- oil for deep frying
- Start off by cleaning and preparing your chitterlings for cooking. Examine each chitlin thoroughly removing by hand all foreign matter. The best way to do this is under running water. Under running water you need to repeatedly pick clean each chitlin. While picking clean the chitlins you should remove extra fat and any specks that you see. Finish the cleaning process off by washing your chitterlings 3 or 4 times.
- Place your chitterlings in a large pot, add 4 to 5 cups of water, chopped onions, bay leaves, minced garlic, vinegar, red pepper and other seasonings as desired.
- Simmer over medium low heat for 2 hours or until chitterlings are tender. Remove from heat and rinse under cold running water. Cut the boiled chitterlings into oyster size pieces and set aside.
- Beat egg with 1 tablespoon water. Now dip each piece of chitlin into the egg mixture then roll in crumbs.
- Fry chitlins in hot oil at about 370° until golden brown
Serve your deep fried chitlins with remoulade sauce.
This recipe provided courtesy of http://www.soulfoodandsoutherncooking.com/