June is National Turkey Lovers Month! While turkeys are most popularly enjoyed at Thanksgiving dinner, having this celebration in June appreciates the turkey’s year-round greatness. Here are some things you may not have known about this All-American bird:
- The turkey is exclusively a North American animal – it can only be found here.
- Benjamin Franklin considered the turkey to be a better choice for the American national bird than the bald eagle.
- Turkeys have excellent eyes! Not only can they see in color, but they also have a 270-degree field of vision and can see almost 3 times clearer than 20/20 vision.
- The color of a turkey’s head will change depending on its mood.
- Turkeys can run up to 25 mph and fly up to 60 mph.
- Wild turkeys settle overnight in trees.
- You can tell a turkey’s gender by its droppings.
- A wild turkey’s gobble can be heard from up to a mile away.
Be a turkey lover this month and try one of these turkey recipes from Delish!